05 March 2013

Inspiration Board | Cobalt Blue & The Mediterranean Sea

If you have ever asked me what my favorite color is, for as long as I can remember, I've always said blue.  Over the years, the shade of blue that has most interested me has changed, variations of turquoise, aqua, perinwinkle, slate, royal blue, navy, electric blue, and now the very intense, very beautiful color of cobalt.  It absolutely mesmerizes me and I can't help but stare at it for long moments. 

It brings me back in time to my first trip to the "Middle East" to the country of Tunisia, where I spent some time as a university student about 10 years ago.  I remember the doors!  They came in many different colors, but most prominently you'd see them in bright blue.  The charming little town of Sidi Bou Said about 30 minutes from the capital on the northern coast is one of my most favorite places that I've ever been to. Every single door and window frame there is cobalt blue against white washed buildings.  I remember a friend telling me it was decreed they had to repaint the buildings and trim once per year to keep them looking so pristine, because it was a top tourist attraction and the country leader had a home there.  Sure enough, as I was walking through the streets, more than one person was out rolling a fresh coat of paint on their walls.  These "old" doors can be seen in many Mediterranean countries, I've seen them in Morocco and Lebanon as well, but they are most remarkable in Tunisia, with their black wrought iron nailed details and patterns against the bright blue. I learned that in older times, the doors were decorated to show how wealthy the family was inside, since all the houses relatively look the same from the outside.

When a Tunisian restaurant opened up in my hometown years ago, I was hired to paint a mural of a scene from Sidi Bou Said and the beautiful blue doors across one wall.  I'll have to see if I can find a photo of it.  It was a pretty fun endeavor, after which, I decided painting murals was a lot of work!

Anyway, enough of my dusty, old memories. With cobalt blue on the fashion and home interior scene this year, I find myself in the mall getting pulled into shops where I see this color on display.  I even bought a cobalt blue pair of jeans a couple weeks ago and I think I could wear them every day! I decided to look cobalt blue up on pinterest yesterday and within moments I ran into so many photos of those beautiful, old doors that will forever be imprinted on my memory.  This inspiration board is dedicated to that first trip to MENA region and I plan to use it as inspiration for a new design very soon!  I think cobalt blue would make for a very striking wedding or business logo, don't you?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...